• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice - fired for embezzlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mthrnlaw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I was fired for embezzlement. I wrote and signed a letter stating what I had done with the added statement that an amount would be determined after a full audit for the last 3 years. I was told I had to do this or be arrested. What I want to know is, was this legal for them to do and should I get an attorney?

eerelations

Consider yourself damn lucky

...that's ALL you had to do to avoid prosecution! If I were you I wouldn't call an attorney, I'd just get my head down and leave town at TOP SPEED before your thoroughly wronged and saintly ex-employers change their minds. And I wouldn't ever embezzle again, the next employers I did it to may not be so kind when they catch me! :cool:

Beth3

I was told I had to do this or be arrested. What I want to know is, was this legal for them to do and should I get an attorney? Absolutely. It was entirely your choice whether you wanted to admit your guilt and sign the document or not. Frankly, you got lucky. A lot of employers wouldn't have given you that option and would have had you prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If found guilty, I have no doubt you would also have had to pay restitution.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. Rather than getting a lawyer to (I assume) sue your employer, you should be getting down on your knees and thanking whatever God you worship that you got out of this with ONLY having to sign a statement of what you did. You really dodged a bullet on this one.

Oh, and btw, it will be ENTIRELY legal for them to tell any prospective employers who call them EXACTLY why you were fired.

mthrnlaw

Thanks!

undefined

Thank you for your responses. You only reinforced what I thought. Just have a "friend" that was trying to convince me otherwise.

HomeGuru

mthrnlaw said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I was fired for embezzlement. I wrote and signed a letter stating what I had done with the added statement that an amount would be determined after a full audit for the last 3 years. I was told I had to do this or be arrested. What I want to know is, was this legal for them to do and should I get an attorney?

**A: how much did you take/steal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">