• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advise on wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cassie77562

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have been employed by my current employer for 11 months. I am currently employed as a Medical Assistant doing administrative work in a office setting. On 02/21/06 I fell and broke my left ankle. My orthopedic casted my ankle and released me back to work on light duty 1 week later. Before i was able to return i fell and injuryed my right hip. The physician treating my right hip advised against me returning to work until all x-rays and results are back and ordered me to be off my feet completely. My employer wanted me to go back to work the following Monday after i broke my ankle which was 4 days before the orthopedic agreed for me to. My employer insisted i return Monday 02/28/06 and finish some of my work, i did do this and found a ride and was able to do a couple of hours of work that Monday i was was highly medicated and was in pain and under order not to be hopping around on my broke ankle but i did since my employer insisted. My employer today is now wanting me to return all office supplies i have brought home with me to complete my job at home and not telling me if i will have a job when i am released back to work. Can they terminate me since i am hurt and have a letter from a physician saying i am unable to return back to work. If they do terminate me i will be without insurance and i have pending appointments for my ankle and hip in the future. Thanks for the help and is there anything or anyone else such as a attorney i should talk to?

Thanks
Cassie

mlane58

Did your injuries happen at work? You don't qualify for FMLA since you have only been with this employer for 11 months and chances are you wouldn't anyway as more medical pratcies don't employ more than 50 employees. If your injuries happened outside the workplace then your employer can terminate you for any other reason they choose as long as it is not for your gender, race age, national origin, etc.....

mlane58

cassie77562 said:
the injury didnot happen at work it happened at my home. Location Texas.
Then the second part of my previous post stands. Your employer didn't have to hold you position as it wasn't protected since you didn't qualify for FMLA. Based on your post, nothing illegal has taken place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">