• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A friend of mine is a District Manager for a company. This company does not have any policy and procedure handbook, it has no rules. This friend of mine was promoted about 6 months ago and has been employed there for 8 years. Last week, a car that the company owns was discovered in a parking lot, it had been there for about 2 or 3 weeks. The person dropped the car off there instead of in their business. My friend called his General Manager and asked if he could retrieve the car and pay only for the day, if it would be o.k. that would save the company $500.00, his manager says, ask so and so see what he says. So and so says, don't worry, I do that all the time. If there's any problem just call me and I will say that the car was reported stolen and my policy buddies will help us out. My friend sent a couple of people there and they went and got the car, unfortunately, they were arrested. I adviced my friend to tell the cops the truth, to avoid any repercussions, he told them exactly what happened, and he ended up in jail that night. the other 2 employees also went to jail. The company is paying for the other 2 employees legal representation and not for his. They didn't give him any reasons. I think this is unfair. But I would like to know what he could do. Is there an act that covers unfair business practices. If they do it for one, shouldn't they do it for all? THe other 2 employees are minorities so is he.
Please reply.
Thank you.

ALawyer

Your friend needs a lawyer to get him out of the criminal charges. That lawyer will know if there are any local state laws that give him rights. But companies need not treat everyone alike.

The only thing here is that the guy who told the truth is not being given benefits others who lie are and that may violate the state's public policy.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">