• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need copy of my personel file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce C

What is the name of your state? I was employed in Kentucky.
*Can I legally get a copy of my employee file??
** Where do I start or what can I do to get this??
thank you, Bruce

JETX

Bruce C said:
Can I legally get a copy of my employee file??
You can certainly request one from your employer, but there is NO legal obligation for them to provide a copy of what is really THEIR records to you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. Under both Federal and Kentucky law, it is entirely up to the employer whether or not they will even let you SEE your file, let alone have a copy of it.

JETX

cbg said:
Agreed. Under both Federal and Kentucky law, it is entirely up to the employer whether or not they will even let you SEE your file, let alone have a copy of it.
One point I was trying to make was that the employee file is the property of the EMPLOYER.... not the employee. As such, the employer has NO legal obligation to allow the employee to see or copy THEIR property.
Just like most employees think 'their' computer is theirs. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand. But the point I was making is that this is a state specific question. In many states, including mine, the employee does have the right to a copy of the file. It so happens that this poster is in a state where employees do not have that right, but in another state they would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">