• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

singlemom815

i am a federal employee in NJ. i no longer have the ability to work at my current job and care for my child. when i leave my job for these reasons will i somehow be able to collect unemployment benefits? if not wha am i supposed to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have not provided anywhere near enough information for anyone to have an informed opinion on your eligibilty for UI. ONLY an adjudicator from your state's UI board could give you anything but an opinion even with additional information. However, the best way for you to find out if you will qualify is to apply.

singlemom815

sorry. my first time doing this. i am an employee at TSA in the airports. when i took this job 2 years ago i had the help of my parents with my son. i no longer have this support due 2 personal reasons. i work from 4am-1230pm which doesnt allow me to take him to school. the only other shift is from 1200pm-830pm which doesnt allow me to get him from school or care for him during the day. do you think that UI will justifies my reason for quitting? just would like some opinions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My personal opinion is that no, you will not be eligible for unemployment. The very large majority of people who quit are not eligible for unemployment unless they are being subjected to illegal behavior (such as sexual harassment or illegal discrimination) or, in a VERY few states, you are following a spouse who is moving beyond commuting distance. Quitting for personal reasons seldom, if ever, qualify.

However, I am not an expert in NJ unemployment law. I've been wrong in the past and no doubt will be wrong again in future. Have you called the unemployment office and asked them?

singlemom815

i emailed them. they replied with almost the same thing you just said :) ....when i looked on the NJ state law website the personal reason were the same as u stated and caring for an ill family member. i cant believe caring for your own child is not a good enough reason! if i just stop coming to work and let them fire me it will devestating to my background. i am only 22 years old and having getting fired from a federal job will make very hard dor future employment. this sucks!! :mad: thankyou 4 ur help though. i appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">