• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help Fast!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maxb

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Texas
I have worked in our family business for 25 years. As of 2 weeks ago I was President of our family corporation & Funeral Director In Charge of the funeral home. The corporation consists of a furniture, bedding & flooring store, a funeral home & maybe a ranch. I say maybe because I have never been told the ranch is part of the corporation, but company checks have been written to cover ranch expenses.
2 weeks ago I was fired by my father (supposedly retired but micro-managing) for "too many personal differences. Now I am negotiating to buy the funeral home. My main question revolves around my stock in the corporation. I know I have 500 shares, & perhaps more. I think there are 30,000 shares. I have never been told how many I have, what they were worth, how many total there are, seen any corporate bylaws, reports, NOTHING, even when I ask. Now dad is anxious for the return of my shares as part of the negotiation. He claims they are not worth much (maybe $5000), but the furniture & funeral home alone are worth aprox 2 mil., not to mention the ranch. He has had a high $ lawyer in San Antonio for some time & now I am scrambling for answers & advise.
A second question revolves around any rights I may have to sue on the grounds I am now forced to buy at fair market value a business I was told for years I would inherit. The funeral home may be seen at www.beckmannfuneralhome.com

pattytx

I would suggest you post this on the family law or contracts forum. This really is too far removed from employment law for any but a very few who frequent this particular forum to help you.

Good luck, however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">