• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help fast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesusluvsu2004

What is the name of your state? :Ohio
I am posting this for my husband so here it is.
I have been having problems at work for awhile now. I am an assistant manager with a company here in Ohio. But this company doesn't have permanent assistants. You are hired as an assistant and then promoted after a training period to a store manager as stores become available.

I was originally told I would be here for 6-12 months. May of 2004 is when I started work here. In late August/early sept. We found out we were having another baby and it would be due in May of 2005. So I asked if I could stay put until the baby was born. They said that would be fine.

I completed my training in March and went ahead and put my name in for some stores that came open that were close by. But didn't get anything. One store came open that was about 20-30 miles from where we are now and I put in for it. But they gave it to another Assistant who was female and had already been a store manager but was demoted back down to assistant to be retrained. This store was given to her (as said to me by my boss) because she said she wasn't getting a fair deal because she was a woman. The company gave her the store to protect themselves from a lawsuit. I was very angry because I had received an excellent review and they had been very happy with my job performance. Why is it fair for her to get the store just because she is a woman when she had already did a bad job once?

Comments have been made to me by the other hourly managers, store manager and district manager that I am only good for lifting and to be used an abused because my salary doesn't come out of the store's payroll. It comes out of home office.

When my child was born he had complications as did my wife. My boss was furious because it was the height of lawn and garden season and he wanted me there, not with my wife and child. He went so far to say that his birth was an inconvience for him. That my wife won't allow me to go to work because she has me on a short leash. Which she was sick from a post partum infection.

We live 400 miles away from family or friends and I had to take my vacation (2 weeks) to help out here. He got angry about that. I checked with home office first to see if I could go ahead and start the vacation time and they said it was fine. But when I went to my manager to tell him about the vacation time, he said he didn't know about that and would have to check on it. Which I believe he would have denied it at the time due to it being lawn and garden season. But I told him that home office had already approved it. After he got off the phone with home office I guess to confirm what I was saying about my vacation time, he told me that I could take a 30 day leave of absence and after that my job would be forfeited. To clarify here, I had not even asked about leave of absence. I just needed the vacation time.

Also, about 6 months ago I did inform him that I am Bipolar/manic depressive. I had previously been on disability and told him this as well. And one of the group managers ever since then has made comments of "You're crazy" to me which I am greatly offended by.

Then today two hourly managers and another assistant (all female) started talking about some shirts we got in that said "If it's hard, ride it" It was referring to surfing but they were referreing to it in a sexual wy which made me very uncomfortable as I was in the room also. If I had said something like that I would have been told it was sexual harrasment.

Then there is a whole issue with the other assistant manager who is female. She is constantly being treated different than me. In a better way, that is. She is allowed to come in later than required by the company on an every day basis. The company says 7:30am and she comes in at 8:30 or 8:45. We are supposed to work open to close two nights a week but she only has to work one. She is not made to anything physical although I am and so have other male assistants. The store manager just is totally enamored with her for some reason. He nearly trips over himself to get to her every day. Even associates have noticed it. She left the store unattended (meaning no management was on the premises) to make a bank deposit on a Sunday when she should have done it on her way home. This was a deposit for the store by the way. It is against company policy to leave the store unattended and is a terminating offense but nothing was done to her, not even a "slap on the wrist". Had that have been me, I am sure the case would have been different. Even other associates couldn't believe she wasn't even reprimanded for it.

Also, when my lease came up for renewal I asked home office if I should sign a new one and they said I would only be here three or four more months so to see if they'd go month to month. Which we did and the landlord said yes. But then after that the company told me it's going to be awhile, even up to another year. But now, someone wants to rent this place and we have to be out by July 31st. This is a small town and we have had no luck finding anything else to rent. If they would have told us right before we could have just tried to sign a new lease. And they have refused to help me with relocation (expense) even though it's their doing I am in this situation.

I am at my wit's end. This job is causing me so much aggravation and making my bipolar flare up in such big ways. I haven't been this bad in a long time. I have even thought about checking myself into the hospital. Is there anything I can do about all of these things going on? I am betting not but I feel I am getting mistreated and would like to take action if there is anything to do. Thank you!
JM

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">