• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with my enemployment insurance appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chilulu

I live and work in Oregon and was recently laid off of a job that I had been at for over two years. I applied for unemployment benefits but was denied on the basis that I am a student for twelve hours a week and am therefore not able to accept work that might interfere with my school schedule. I work in the restaurant industry and have always gone to school at the same time without scheduling conflicts.

I have faxed in my request for an appeal, but I've never had to deal with anything like this before and I don't want to go into a telephone hearing unprepared. I need advice on how to proceed from here and what my rights are in this particular situation.

Thanks,
kt

fairisfair

Poster are you saying that

the restaurant where you were previously working has contested your unemployment based on the fact that you could not work the schedule that they wanted you to. . . . . .

or

that UNEMPLOYMENT has determined you to be ineligible based on your availability?

Of course regardless, unemployment will make the final determination. However, if their reasoning is the first section, then showing paystubs or schedules that clearly show your schedule has not changed in the last two years could certainly be helpful.

Chilulu

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I filed for unemployment and unemployment has made the decision to deny benefits. I am appealing the decision of the State of Oregon Employment Department.

As of this time, there has not been a hearing. I filled out the application online, did a telephone interview, and then recieved the decision by mail.

fairisfair

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I filed for unemployment and unemployment has made the decision to deny benefits. I am appealing the decision of the State of Oregon Employment Department.

As of this time, there has not been a hearing. I filled out the application online, did a telephone interview, and then recieved the decision by mail.
then you need to prepare the information that shows that your employment was maintained by the company for a period of time prior to your termination that indicates that your school schedule was not a problem.

Definitely appeal and do the hearing. It is not uncommon for businesses to protest every filing just as a matter of routine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">