• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GinnyR

I have several issues here. I live in Calif. and one month ago was terminated from my job of 2 years. I twisted my back struggling with a broken sliding door to my work area and told my supervisor that the door had hurt me and would he please fix it. He assured me it would be repaired in a week. One month went by with no repairs and the daily fighting with the door continued to make the pain in my back worse. I made a doctor appointment and notified the office mng. of the appt. and that it would be workers comp. She had me write a letter explaining the circumstances, called the plan administrator, and gave me a reference number. That was on a Friday, when I returned to work the following Monday I was fired. Since this time I have been receiving treatment for my back 3 times a week and was informed that my previous employer has asked for an investigation so no medical payments have been made to my doctor.

The reasons given for why I was fired are all lies. My employer stated that I had been given verbal warnings for bad attitude and not reporting to my supervisor when calling in sick and leaving early. No warnings were ever given to me in the entire 2 years I was employed there. I didn't leave early without asking for permission and when calling in sick (always when I was going to the doctor for my illness) always asked to speak with my supervisor first, although he was usually not in. I would like to also point out that I ALWAYS did my job and did it well, in fact was given a pay raise in May and another in August. You don't give pay raises to employees with a "bad attitude that have been given verbal warnings*!! I feel I was wrongfully terminated based on my injury and am working with WC Appeals Board but they can't help me with what I feel is a civil case against my former employer for wrongful termination/slander.

I am a single mother of two and prospective employers calling for references are being told the lies surrounding my termination which is now preventing me from getting another job. Furthermore, I still have not received any notice of my rights to continue medical/dental benefits under the COBRA Act. I am at my witts end and don't know what to do. Do I have a case?, what kind of lawyer do I need?, on what grounds do I have a claim and against who?, etc., etc., etc. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!! Either post here or email me at [email protected]. Thank you

[This message has been edited by GinnyR (edited November 06, 2000).]

ALawyer

You do need help, and retaliatory action is illegal.

You should have a workers comp lawyer helping you and that lawyer would know how to handle these. They charge on a contingency basis.

A defamation suit for slander is not the way to go -- you can't afford it.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

G

GinnyR

Thank you for your advise. I will seek a WC attorney at once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">