• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with a situation at work (I'm from the UK)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamD

What is the name of your state? United Kingdom, West Sussex

Here's the jist of what's happened to me at work.

Well, my good deeds at getting him removed have backfired and the company is now using my evidence against him, against me

I got fired today for "Gross misconduct"
My crime? I recorded what a manager was saying about another person in the department who was off sick and sent it to said person, as they were quitting and thinking of sueing for discrimination.
The recording was actually an accident, I left my mp3 player on when walking to work and noticed later on when I got home that the batteries had run out
I retrieved all the files from it and saw a huge voice recording and found the managers convo half way through

So, according to the head manager, she claims I'm being fired for "Harrassment to management" and "Breaking confidentiality"
Um, the conversation took place in an open hallway with people passing each other and how me telling this girl who was off sick what the manager had said, is "harrassment", I don't know

To add insult to injury, I recorded in the past a conversation in which our team leader was rude to another member of staff (The team leader who this thread is about and got fired for harrassment, bullying, abuse of it equipment, abusive emails etc) and was going to submit it as evidence
They found out today that i'd recorded it and played it back to the team I took charge of after he'd gone, they've now put that down as "Abuse of IT Equipment"

Bit that annoyed me the most, she confiscated my personal music player, wouldn't give it back, gave it to the IT guy to WIPE!?
She refused to give it back to me, I couldn't believe it.

I then got suspended for a week pending a level 4 disciplinary (means i'm fired)

Hmm, although i'll admit sending the recording to the girl who was off sick wasn't a good idea, I still can't believe they're firing me over it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Beth3

Adam, this site deals only with U.S. employment laws.

All I can tell you is that in the U.S. it would be completely lawful to terminate an employee who was recording conversations in the workplace without management's permission. You had multiple occasions of recording coversations at work without permission and taking it upon yourself to share those with co-workers, to your employer's detriment. It's not surprising they fired you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">