• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Immediate Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twomack

What is the name of your state? California
I, a manager of a small department, sent an email out that was given to me by an admin, to other co-workers. One person that I sent the email out to was offended. My job suspended me for 3 days and forced me to sign a Final Warning statement, saying that if i do anything else that the employer leadership team do not like I will be terminated, while the admin that sent it to me did not get any disciplinary actions except a note on his HR file. I would like to write a letter to my HR file citing the uneven discrimatory actions taken by the leadership team but I do not know if what they did is legally okay. I just believe I got suspended and he was still allowed to work, without prejudice and without destroying his image.

Beth3

Nothing in your post suggests any prohibited discrimination occurred so if you write a letter of complaint (which I suggest you think long and hard about before doing as it could just make matters worse for you), you should not include any reference to discrimination.

P.S. Perhaps the difference here is that you're a manager and the admin is not (your employer expects you to show better judgment) and/or that you sent the email to a number of other employees while the admin sent it only to you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of the facts you have posted, yes, what they did is legally acceptable. Nothing in your post suggests prohibited discrimination. The employer is permitted to discipline two different employees differently for the same offense, particularly since you are not on the same level. There is nothing in the law which prohibits them from holding you to a higher standard and disciplining you more severely since you are a manager.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">