• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some advise on termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stardancer

What is the name of your state?PA
I have been verbally warned by my supervisor that I will be on warning :mad: and I believe that the company gives 4 or 5 written warnings. I am in customer service for a company that provides the equipment to run cable industry and the Voice over IP stuff... I have been employeed here since March 2004. I took a position that I was given 1 day of training as the person that I was taking over for was leaving that day. I didn't think this was going to be impossible as I have been in the customer service world for over 23 years. Kind of like same crap just different building. At Christmas time they had a layoff and they reduced our department by 2, boss and her boss called me in to tell me that I needed an action plan as I was strongly considered for the lay off but "the thing that saved me is that I had a desire to work and be there" Well I took in a written plan and feel that I have done what I said. I was advised that I would be receiving "training" from the Boss! Never happened. On Wed the boss' boss had her interview one of his friends for a job that was never posted. I was called in on Friday with HR in the office and the boss informs me that this was my verbal warning. She wants to be blind copied on all my emails out to my customers, she feels that I am not following up. I don't believe she has received any complaints from my customers as I am sure she would have been into my cube ASAP! So I have to go back Tomorrow trying to second guess myself. First I didn't have a clue about the product and what I have learned was on my own or asking my neighbor..... I was told that I did a return to a big customer on a part that was ordered incorrectly from the start and then I turned around and ordered and shipped the same incorrect part. I admitted that happened, we are a totally manually process nothing electronic unless you count the orders being faxed into the building and email! So far behind the times! I have made some minor logistical errors but nothing that impacted the companies bottom line. I have contacted several of my customers to get info on future demand and have relayed this to the material manager. I really don't think that anything I did warrented HR being called in. Only thing I can think of is they want to get ride of me so they can justify the hiring of the Boss' boss' friend! I have not had anything EVER in my past that I was pulled in front of HR. I did have a personally difficult year husband broke my arm and currently serving jail time. I always took vacation time to do my personal business, I have been seeing a psychiatrist to help me deal with the domestic violence. My boss makes jokes about my personal life, trying to find out information on what's going on. I am very private about that part of me. I DO NOT let it interfer with my professional life. I can't if I do I will go mad! I informed her that I was seeing someone and her reply "Should I take out extra life insurance, are you going to go postal on us?" Then she told me that she could save me the co-pay all I had to do was come in and she would only charge me half. I had to go to a womens shelter with my kids and she wanted me to tell her the stories of the women that were there! A Co-workers 36 year old cousin passed away and the boss told me "Sorry there are only going to be 2 of you this afternoon her cousin had to croke!" AHHHHH I read a post on having your resume on Monsters. I have my resume on career builders should I pull it? I don't want to give them any additional amunition! :eek: Should I keep files of what correspondences boss has with me? I was also thinking of sending my customers an email and telling them that I am trying to improve my service level to them and would they answer a few questions for me. All questions would of business nature, response time, ..... Please advise I would like to understand where I am so I can be prepared for my future. Should I just give up and get another job and forget this one??
Stardancer

Sockeye

Your posting can use a bit of a clean-up, it's all over the place. I idid get that the manager is crass and insensitive, unfortuante but not illegal.

I think you need to put a new action plan together using your idea of contacting the customers and present it to your manager as a way to improve customer service that had become a concern. Use this time to discuss was issues had been raised and what you can do to relieve the concern from her.

Lastly, don't sweat it so much, you may be making a bigger deal out of this than what it really is.

Beth3

Only thing I can think of is they want to get ride of me so they can justify the hiring of the Boss' boss' friend! Your employer doesn't need a reason to get rid of you. If they wanted you out so they could hire the boss's friend, all they'd have to say is "Thanks but your services are no longer required."

My boss makes jokes about my personal life, trying to find out information on what's going on. I am very private about that part of me. I DO NOT let it interfer with my professional life. I can't if I do I will go mad! I informed her that I was seeing someone and her reply "Should I take out extra life insurance, are you going to go postal on us? The next time your boss makes some dumb comment like that, tell her nicely and quietly that you'd prefer she not make jokes about your situation or to discuss it any further.

I read a post on having your resume on Monsters. I have my resume on career builders should I pull it? That's up to you.

I don't want to give them any additional amunition! They don't need ammunition. If they wanted you gone, you'd be gone.

Should I keep files of what correspondences boss has with me? I can't see that that would serve any purpose.

I was also thinking of sending my customers an email and telling them that I am trying to improve my service level to them and would they answer a few questions for me. All questions would of business nature, response time, ..... That might be a good idea but you absolutely should discuss it with your boss before you do that and make sure she's okay with that.

Please advise I would like to understand where I am so I can be prepared for my future. Should I just give up and get another job and forget this one?? As Sockeye said, you may be making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. What you need to do is schedule some time to visit with your boss, find out exactly what her concerns are about your job performance, what the two of you can do about that, and how any training needs you have will be addressed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">