• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Urgent Advice Regarding My Suspension From Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebirdsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was called in the LP office this past Thursday in the middle of my work shift at [company]. The issue, which at the time I didn't think was too too bad. I didn't look at the bigger picture. I ****ed up and admitted my mistakes. It was more of a coupon/discount problem. I'll let you read the letter LP sent to HR, as I was given a copy.

My name is [my full name]. I am currently employed at [company] [location undisclosed]. I have been employed with [company] since October 27, 2013. My associate # is [omitted]. I am presently assigned to the Handbags department as a Part Time associate, located on the 2nd floor of the [company's] Women's department. I reported to work at approximately 6:00 PM today and was invited to the Loss Prevention Office at approximately 7:40 PM to discuss recent transactions I have processed. During the interview, I was asked about recent discounts I have given out to customers on a frequent basis. On five separate transactions I have given out unauthorized discounts to customers in order to help them out and in order to make my sales goal. I have, on three occasions given a customer anywhere from 25% to 75% off of their transaction. On one occasion I have marked a coat from its sales price of $78.00 to $37.49. I have also given a customer on one occasion $10.00 off on two different items in the same transaction. On an average work week I give out maybe three unauthorized discounts per week. I would give these discounts if the customer said they couldn't afford it, if they were indecisive, or if it was a slow day and I needed to make my sales goal. There were times where I didn't feel I was doing anything wrong and then there were times where I felt I shouldn't of have done that. I take full responsibility for my actions and am sorry for the mistakes that I have made.

I understand that I am placed on suspension for the actions I have caused. I have also been informed by Loss Prevention to contact Human Resources Manager [Manager's name] within 24 hours of my suspension, understanding failing to do so would result in my voluntary resignation.

Ugh, I feel so stupid and ashamed. I gave unauthorized discounts and manually imputed prices because I felted it was better to help the customer. I didn't realize it was adding up. I didn't do it everyday either and there were times I did have to manually input the prices because people didn't have their coupons or the coupons didn't work. This is my first retail job and I really want to get some real advice and I just hope when I call HR tomorrow that I can explain and own up. Hopefully I won't be fired, I know the at will policy, but I can deal with the suspension. Ugh....so lost right now. This is my first retail job, so it's kinda hitting me hard. How do I make the best out of a bad situation?

-I called HR on Friday, they called me back on Monday and set up a meeting Wednesday (Tomorrow)
-This was a mistake and I feel so horrible. All I want to do is set up a meeting with an HR manager to discuss my case.
-What are the more likely outcomes?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was called in the LP office this past Thursday in the middle of my work shift at [company]. The issue, which at the time I didn't think was too too bad. I didn't look at the bigger picture. I ****ed up and admitted my mistakes. It was more of a coupon/discount problem. I'll let you read the letter LP sent to HR, as I was given a copy.

My name is [my full name]. I am currently employed at [company] [location undisclosed]. I have been employed with [company] since October 27, 2013. My associate # is [omitted]. I am presently assigned to the Handbags department as a Part Time associate, located on the 2nd floor of the [company's] Women's department. I reported to work at approximately 6:00 PM today and was invited to the Loss Prevention Office at approximately 7:40 PM to discuss recent transactions I have processed. During the interview, I was asked about recent discounts I have given out to customers on a frequent basis. On five separate transactions I have given out unauthorized discounts to customers in order to help them out and in order to make my sales goal. I have, on three occasions given a customer anywhere from 25% to 75% off of their transaction. On one occasion I have marked a coat from its sales price of $78.00 to $37.49. I have also given a customer on one occasion $10.00 off on two different items in the same transaction. On an average work week I give out maybe three unauthorized discounts per week. I would give these discounts if the customer said they couldn't afford it, if they were indecisive, or if it was a slow day and I needed to make my sales goal. There were times where I didn't feel I was doing anything wrong and then there were times where I felt I shouldn't of have done that. I take full responsibility for my actions and am sorry for the mistakes that I have made.

I understand that I am placed on suspension for the actions I have caused. I have also been informed by Loss Prevention to contact Human Resources Manager [Manager's name] within 24 hours of my suspension, understanding failing to do so would result in my voluntary resignation.

Ugh, I feel so stupid and ashamed. I gave unauthorized discounts and manually imputed prices because I felted it was better to help the customer. I didn't realize it was adding up. I didn't do it everyday either and there were times I did have to manually input the prices because people didn't have their coupons or the coupons didn't work. This is my first retail job and I really want to get some real advice and I just hope when I call HR tomorrow that I can explain and own up. Hopefully I won't be fired, I know the at will policy, but I can deal with the suspension. Ugh....so lost right now. This is my first retail job, so it's kinda hitting me hard. How do I make the best out of a bad situation?

-I called HR on Friday, they called me back on Monday and set up a meeting Wednesday (Tomorrow)
-This was a mistake and I feel so horrible. All I want to do is set up a meeting with an HR manager to discuss my case.
-What are the more likely outcomes?
There is no way we can predict outcomes, but please keep the following in mind: These actions were not mistakes.. These were repeated willful violations of company policy. You were fully aware of the policies and chose to ignore them. You should be fired and you should consider yourself lucky if a criminal complaint is not filed.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The most likely outcome is that you will be fired. The next most likely outcome is that you will be placed on last chance warning. And so on up the line. The least likely outcome is that nothing will happen.

Did you really need us to tell you that?

commentator

When you are terminated (which is my bet for outcome) you should file for unemployment benefits anyhow. Your chances of being approved are slim, but you might as well address the issue here quickly.

Even though this was your first retail job, you should very reasonably have known better than to do what you did, which was play "little Santa" with the company's merchandise. Even if these were not just your own friends and relatives you blessed in this manner at the expense of the store, you still stole their merchandise by defrauding them of the set pricing of the item at your discretion. Maybe just because you thought the customers were nice people and needed a break. Just because you wanted to sell more, regardless of the price. For whatever reason you did it, it was gross misconduct. You knew better than to do this, knew it was against company policy, even to do it once.

No amount of brilliant hedging will make it seem right or justifiable, either to your employer or to the unemployment system , though it would be good practice for you to try by filing a claim and seeing how much proof your employer can offer, what decision you get on the issue from unemployment, how the story plays out as it is rehashed. It costs nothing, isn't a waste of time, even if you are not approved for benefits.

Unemployment is not related to criminal charges they may or may not file against you. Nothing that is brought up in the unemployment system will be usable in the criminal system if they do decide to prosecute you. But hopefully, they'll just write this off to your being a bad hire and let you leave. There will be a very questionable reference from these people, regardless of whether this is a quit or discharge issue. You need to discuss this with them before you leave. And for goodness sake, quit trying to justify yourself, admit it, apologise for it, offer to make restitution if possible, and never do it again.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">