• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needs advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunny4u32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Us law. VA

Question:
worked a 24hr shift and was scheduled a 10hr shift the next day. I am a paramedic and we Ran hard all night, no sleep or rest, told my supervisor I was fatigued and could not provide adequate & safe patient care for the next shift. I was told if I came off the truck I was fired, and it didn't matter how tired I was. I can't afford to lose my job so I continued to work. About noon I was fired anyway, no reason given, I was told "You are no longer needed here". sexual harrassment going on as well. My supervisor will say very sexual things about my significant other in the presence of others. Its embarrasing and makes him look unfaithful to me. There has been text messages sent to him from her, eluding to the fact she wants a sexual relationship and wanting to know if im around. Ever since my significant other called her up and told her to leave him alone I have been treated unfairly at work. Almost like she was trying to drive me away. my supervisor also told people some of my medical problems that ha ppened at a Dr's. appointment. All in all, its a mess.

Last edited:

commentator

And your question is??

I have one for you. What does "ran hard all night" mean? If you knew you were scheduled to work again in a few hours, surely you didn't go jogging?

sunny4u32

why so rude

First of all, why so rude?

I am a Paramedic, So I was in an ambulance all night, We had no down time. When people call 911 I don't get to say, "wait let me finish my nap" I didn't know I had a shift the next day because my former place of employment is so disorganized. So the next morning when my name was on the schedule for 10 hours after just getting off a 24 hour shift I was obviously surprised and didn't know how I was gonnna get through the shift. Some of the stuff we paramedics do can be very invasive and we need down time between shifts so we can be 100% when duty calls. Think of it like this, say one of youre family members or close friends needs help, they are really sick. I walk in the door and say, "Hello, my name is Jessica, I haven't had any sleep or anything to eat in the past 16 hours, and Im gonna be starting iv's and pushing medication and if things get really bad, I can even cut their throat open, stick a tube down so they can breathe. Wouldn't you want another paramedic for the job? If something were to happen to a patient that comes back on ME!!! not my place of employment, therefore I felt I was wrongfully terminated, I only expressed my need for rest. Something as simple as tipping a stretcher with a patient on board could take my certification away, especially if they found out I was fatigued and on duty with no sleep.

I simply thought this website would be good for some advice, maybe I would find someone with a similar situation or experience, but I was definately wrong. Seems like this website is a place where you can just read what other people are going through and make smart remarks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is being rude to you. Those of us who are not paramedics do not necessarily understand industry slang.

We can't give you an answer if we don't understand what you are saying.

Last edited:

Antigone*

No one is being rude to you. Those of us who are not paramedics do not necessarily understand industry slang.

We can't give you an answer if we don't understand what you are saying.
cbg, I guess you haven't been watching Trauma this season:rolleyes:. I've got it dvr'd if you'd like me to send it your way. Cliff is hot:p

commentator

Sorry if my confusion was interpreted as rudeness. Okay, so you told your supervisor you didn't think you should work because you hadn't had any rest. Then you did go on and work, but you were terminated in the middle of your shift. Why? Did you do something wrong, did your supervisor see evidence of bad performance? What did he say when he terminated you? This is exactly what they will ask for when you file for your unemployment.

We're not being rude. But we will have to tell you accurately that an employer has the right to fire a person for any reason. Not allowing workers enough time between shifts may be an industry standard of some type in your field, and if this is true, you could report your employer for violation of this requirement.

Otherwise, showing up for a scheduled shift and telling your employer that you don't think you're able to work due to not getting any sleep the night before is not something any employer is going to be happy about.

It may have been very much to your credit. It is very true, I do not want to be tended by an overly rest-starved medical person. If you were too impaired to work, it was a good thing for you to tell your supervisor you did not feel able to work. But then they certainly did have the right to terminate you. And there is no place to file a grievance, no law against their doing this.

And as I said, they can legally terminate you for any reason. There is no "unfair or unjust or illegal termination" here that you can request redress from. You have the right to file for your unemployment benefits (which may or may not be approved) and look for another job. But if they were very disorganized and unsympathetic, were pulling all this b.s. about your girlfriend, and not a good place to work, this sounds like the alternative may be the best one for you, and the only alternative you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">