• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negative and Demeaning Comments by former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MisterBob

I live in MD but the employer was located in DE!!!

In a nutshell, my former employer (a local private school) asked me to leave before the end of my contract (and obviously did not renew me). I taught music and there was a lot of problems with my actually teaching what the curriculum said versus what they really wanted me to do. In addition, I had a lot of parental support for my program and they did not want to take a chance that they would "lose control" of their music program.

They did pay me fully until the end of my contract year under the stipulation that I leave quietly and not contact any of my (now former) students and fellow staff. Therefore, I had no legal bounds for a wrongful termination suit.

It seems that they did not have to live up to the same stipulation as you will soon read.

Although I was (and still am) deeply hurt by the entire experience, I have tried my best to move on. Here is where my problem lies...

I frequently run into many of my former students and some of the staff. Most of the time, they give me a quick "hi" and quickly walk away. I used to chalk this up under "they don't know what to say under the circumstances" and I deal with it.

A few times, however, I have experienced a very negative response. The worst example (and the primary reason for my posting) would be 2 weeks ago when I ran into one of my favorite students and his mom (who was one of my biggest supporters at the time of my "dismissal.") I was speaking to her son when she approached and dragged him away from me (literally). I had the opportunity to question her about her actions before they left the restaurant and she said "after what you did, why are you surprised that I wouldn't want my son anywhere near you?...you should be ashamed."

Of course, the administration of the school would make me the bad guy. That's fine. I am concerned with my reputation being marred by what these children and parents seem to believe. I can't stand the thought that these people think I did something ethically or morally wrong.

I can dive into much more detail if you need.

Here is what I need to figure out...
1. I have never been able to publicly speak to my side of the issues surrounding my termination. How can I accomplish this without bringing a lawsuit on myself from the school?
2. If I cannot speak about my termination issues, how can I at least speak to the apparent manner in which my termination was explained to the students/parents of the school?

thanx !!!!:0)

[This message has been edited by MisterBob (edited November 02, 2000).]

D

D. D. Lessenberry

I am not a lawyer. Click on my profile to see what I do for a living.

We need to know WHAT you are supposed to have done. Sounds like they're saying "abuse" by what you wrote.

How about going to the local media?

Are these comments goint to possible future employers, too? I THINK that employers may now only give dates of employment to prospective employers.

You might want to post on the Family Law Board, as it seems to be the only one attorneys scan lately.

Let me know what's going on. . .

------------------
I *don't* have an attitude, even if my writing makes me look like I do

M

MisterBob

OK, I took your suggestion and posted on the Family Law Board. I copied my post and then added the following answers to your questions to further the discussion...

1. Yes...I do believe that the thought is of some sort of abuse and might be of a sexual nature.

2. Why not try the local media? 2 reasons...the first is my fear of lawsuit from the school...the second is that the Founder of the school was also a board member at the local newspaper (fun huh?)

3. I do not believe that these comments are going to future employers. In fact, I am not even sure if the school initiated the "abuse" angle so much as it refused to deny it (make sense?)

WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE THINK?

I still welcome your continued commentary as well...thanks for responding!

M

MisterBob

I would love to read what you have to say...unfortunately, your posts are not "printing out" on the screen...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unstuck blonde moment:
.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">