• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negative References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juliotango

What is the name of your state? Illinios

I was employed at a company two years ago. I was there for one year and left under good terms.

During the time I was there I had no problems . . . .except for one. I once sent a mass e-mail to the employees of the company about an employee and her fantastic contributions to the company. Another employee didn't like it since I was praising the employee and she wasn't gettting along with her, so she e-mailed me privately and told me to stop. I then, angry, e-mailed the ENTIRE organization and told her "fine, if you want me to stop, fine. That's why this place has such low morale".

Now this person is the head of the human resources dept. Again, I left under good terms. I had no problems whatsoever. My question is this, Is somdone calls her for a reference, can she legally bring up this e-mail situation even though she was not the human resources manager then?

Also, I've seen written several e-mails basically telling her that she'd better not try to give me a bad recommendation. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

J

juliotango

Also, can she bring up the fact that I have recently contacted her telling her not to give me a bad recommendation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She is entitled to say anything she wants as long as it is either the truth or her honest opinion. The fact that she was not the HR manager at the time of the incident is immaterial. So yes, she can mention the e-mail incident and yes, she can mention that you essentially ordered her to give a good reference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">