• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this negligence??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddywags

NJ

Hi, I have a question regarding what seems to be a wrongful termination in the middle of a one-year employment contract. To put it briefly, a supervisor told the company president that I did X, and I was fired as a result of what he told the president, and this was before anyone even asked me if X was true. They never gave me a hearing or even let me set the record straight. But I did not do X and I can EASILY PROVE it.

My question is: does this fall under a TORT and if so, which one? Perhaps negligent misrepresentation, but then the false statements were not told to me but the company president who relied on it. Could it be plain negligence? I would suppose that I was owed the duty to get the facts straight and not tell false things to the president. Furthermore, is the supervisor personally liable or only the company?

I ask because I would hope that this wrongdoing goes beyond just a breach of contract, where I could only get back what was owed to me for that one year. Are putative damages possible, and if so, how best to pursue them?

mlane58

First off, it sounds that you had an offer letter of employment vs. an employment contract.

Secondly you don't have any legal recourse. It sounds as if your supervisor and employer might be jerks and handled your circumstances terribly, but there is nothing illegal in what they did.

At this point they don't owe you any explanations as to their decisions. As crappy as that sounds they have done nothing illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do. The legal definition of a wrongful termination is that you were fired for a reason that is prohibited by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">