• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nepotism in hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawbird

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

While the answer is probably no since its a non governmental agency, can a company discriminate in its hiring practices by only hiring friends and mostly relatives. As I stated, said company is non governmental however there are 12 cities/municipalities who each appoint a board member to said company who in return are responsible for the hiring of employees.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

While the answer is probably no since its a non governmental agency, can a company discriminate in its hiring practices by only hiring friends and mostly relatives. As I stated, said company is non governmental however there are 12 cities/municipalities who each appoint a board member to said company who in return are responsible for the hiring of employees.

PA doesn't have a specific law prohibiting or restricting family members from working together, though there might other avenues (discrimination comes to mind) an employee can pursue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Outside of public officials, the law does not generally address the subject of nepotism. With limited exceptions, an employer is free to set their own hiring policies.

lawbird

PA doesn't have a specific law prohibiting or restricting family members from working together, though there might other avenues (discrimination comes to mind) an employee can pursue.
And what other avenus would you suggest if you don't mind me asking?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And what other avenus would you suggest if you don't mind me asking?
Ummm, maybe illegal discrimination based on a protected characteristic? Of course, nothing along those lines was hinted at by your original post, but it can't hurt to examine the possibilities.

Unfortunately, if the guy hired his brother instead of you because he is his brother, that's not a form of illegal discrimination against you.

eerelations

"Protected characteristics" are things like race, gender, religion, disability and/or age (over 40 only). If these people are being hired just because they're friends and relatives and not due to these protected characteristics listed here, then there is no illegal discrimination (or illegal anything for that matter) occurring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">