• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a new hire letter legally binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tarrajay

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have been working for this small business for over a year. In my Welcome Letter I was promised a bonus package and benefits. I have received nothing. I even questioned why I was not receiving my bonus and I was yelled at.
Here is some of the information enclosed: "As Our loan processor you will be compensated through a starting salary of $25000 per year. In addition, you will receive a bonus of $20 for each loan that you process. Take note, that this is a starting salary with our company. As our company grows and your contributions provide foundation to our customer service focus, it is our intention to raise your pay accordingly."

In the benefits portion it states:

"Eligibility for medical benefits will begin on the 1st of the month following your date of hire."

Now they have hired someone with much more experience than me. I found emails written by my boss and his boss stating that they were going to get rid of me. (I printed them for my records) Do I have any legal recourse? Of course this has caused much tension in the office since I am not suppose to know.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'll need to show the letter to a local attorney. We cannot determine the enforceability of a letter we have not read.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">