• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Hire -Pregnant-Can I get Fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brwn_tall2

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Mississippi is an at will state I know. There is no reason that has to be given for firing an employee nor does an employee have to give any reason or notice when quitting. My question is this....I was just hired 2 weeks ago and I am 5 going on 6 months pregnant. It is kind of hard for any one not to notice. I am a receptionist at a very busy and upscale company. The HR mgr who hired me is preganant also. No one has asked me anything. but for three months I am on probation and along with that I am working through a temp agency but it is a permanent position if I make it through the first three months. I am doing a great job so far...but I guess I am just scared that they will fire me when they realize that I will need to take 2 wks off when I have the baby. (I have had 3 already...I don't need 6 wks...doctor approved already). If this is an at will state how will I know if I get fired if it was because I am pregnant?

Thanks

K

krispenstpeter

If this is an at will state how will I know if I get fired if it was because I am pregnant?
And what did your temp agency or the HR director say when you asked them?

B

brwn_tall2

I have not said anything to them. I am planning on telling them when I get a statement from my doctor stating when I will start leave and when I will be back (2 Wks). I will have that tomorrow. I was going to first give the statement and a letter requesting leave to the temp agency. I am just really worried that if they did not realize I was pregnant that they will fire me when they find out.

K

krispenstpeter

And if they do there is not one thing you can do about it.

Regardless, you knew you were pregnant and ethics would have dictated that you told not only your temp agency but also any prospective employer.

Even if they don't fire you, I would be surprised if their opinion of you is not a bit diminished because you were not upfront with them from the beginning.

Beth3

If you are nearly six months pregnant, I really can't imagine that the employer didn't notice that when they hired you, especially as you have had several other children (subsequent pregnancies usually "show" much sooner.)

I suspect you're worrying over nothing. When you have your doctor's note, share it with your boss at the agency and with your boss at the client site, tell them you are only planning on taking two weeks off and that you'll be happy to train your temporary replacement before you go. It's not a big deal for the employer to have the temp agency send a fill-in person for you for those couple of weeks.

B

brwn_tall2

It was all a whirlwind. I was looking for a job three months ago and could not find anything. I went online to fill out an application with a temp agency at the first of this month and got a call before I had even logged off. They had submitted my qualifications to the company and the company wanted to interview me. Out of 15 candidates I was the only one called back for a 2nd interview with the president. The next day I got a call saying they wanted me and had offered me the job. It all happened so fast. I did not say anything because I was scared they would not hire me and I REALLY need this job, me and hubby are trying to straighten out our finances and this income is a great help. Maybe I am being paranoid....after all, I am not the only one in the office pregnant but aI am the only employee in the "trial period".

Oh yeah, does the Pregnancy Discrimination Act relate to temp employees as well?

R

Ramoth

The PDA only means that they can't treat you any better ot worse than they would any other employee with a temporary disability. So, if any other temp would be allowed to take 2 weeks off for, say, surgery, and come back to the same job, then the same would apply here.

K

krispenstpeter

And remember, aside from ethics (which personally, I think suck in this case) you are NOT an employee of the company.

Beth3

Nobody here can predict what the employer will do. If they don't have a policy or practice of extending leave time to temp employees or employees still in their trial period, yes, they could fire you. However, given the short amount of time you are planning to be off work, it makes little sense for the employer to let you go after having invested several months of training in you.

Again, it's quite likely that you are worrying over nothing and that the employer is already well aware that you are pregnant. You need to get the straight scoop from the employer so talk to them already and tell them what your plan is. Then they can make a plan to (hopefully) bring in a temp for two weeks while you're gone having the baby.

You can either continue to worry about this in a vacuum or you can talk to your employer and get the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">