• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New job after termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

person9

What is the name of your state? CA
I was recently fired after reporting sexual harassment from my boss. What do I say on applications for new jobs when they ask if I've ever been terminated and what the termination reason is? Can I say it was because of the company merger? I was offered a forced resignation that I haven't accepted or rejected yet. Thank you.

las365

Generally speaking, it is illegal to fire an employee in retaliation for complaining of sexual harassment. These are factors that affect whether you may have a viable wrongful termination and/or retaliation case:

How long did you work for the employer?
What was your job and how much money were you making?
Had your job performance been satisfactory prior to your complaint?

Don't sign anything until you consult with an experienced employment law attorney in your area. You should do that immediately. You should also file a sexual harassment and retaliation claim with the EEOC - the lawyer can advise you about that.

person9

Thank you for responding.
I worked there for a year as a scientist. I had a positive review. One of the things my boss did was waiver back and forth between saying I was doing a good job and saying I did everything poorly. He tried to ask for a raise for me recently. I haven't signed anything. I am going to meet with fair housing and descrimination- DFEH is the name right? I couldn't get through to the EEOC offices. The company said my claims were not found to be true. I have firms looking at my case, but haven't signed with any yet. I don't know what to write on a job application when they ask if I was terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">