• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Job and now it's gone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webbsoft2

What is the name of your state? Georgia - Texas

I don't know where I stand on this matter. I live in Georgia and recently was hired by a company in Texas.

I had several phone interviews with my prospective employer that went well. As the next step, they bought me a plane ticket to Dallas and I flew out on April 21st. The meeting went well and I flew back home the same day. On April 22nd, my prospective employer called and offered me the job with salary and moving expense offers. I told him I would think it over and let him know.

I called on April 25th and accepted the offer and we decided on the date of May 5th as my starting date on the new job. I immediatly called my current employer and turned in a 3 weeks notice. Then the next day, April 26 at 2:30pm, My new employer called and retracted the Job offer.

Here's the deal. My current job has been given to someone else and now I don't have a job in Texas. Is it legal for a company to offer you a job and then retracted it after you turned in your notice to you current employer?

Thanks a lot.

Beth3

It means you relied in good faith upon their offer to your detriment.

Yes, it's legal for an employer to retract a job offer. Whether you have a civil claim for detrimental reliance is something you will need to discuss with a local attorney.

webbsoft2

Thanks for all the advice. I think I might just chalk this one up as experience.
However, I live in Georgia and the Company is in Texas. If I filed a civil action against them, which State would this happen? Would I have to travel to Texas to pursue this matter? Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">