• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Job offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davelisalou

New York

I put my 2 week notice in to my current job because I was hired at the new one. When my existing job found out where i was going they contacted the owners of the business I was hired by (they are friends) and started to tell them lies about me and giving me a bad referance. Now i keep getting calls from the new employeer asking me questions about lies they were told by the old employeer. I find myself explaining to the new job that they are lies and there is nothing I can say about what they are saying about me. Now I fear I will have no job in 2 weeks to provide for my famile and myself. Please help me someone. What can I do?

Dave

davelisalou

They are asking me about differnt things that are being told i did or did not due at my current employer. when I explain myself they are like ok thats fine. But who knows if thats fine? I have gotton 3 of these calls so far but who knows if they belive me or not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So you still have your job and you have not been disciplined, demoted, had your pay reduced, or suffered any adverse action except being questioned?

davelisalou

correct.... but i am being questioned by the new employer for things my current employer is telling them and not once have I ever been written up or diciplined for anything at all. They are just mad im leaving them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal, in that there is no law prohibiting it. And you cannot take any action on the basis of something that hasn't happened and may not ever happen.

IF you lose the new job AND IF what the employer has been saying is FALSE, THEN you may be able to take legal action. Not now. And not if what the employer is saying is true.

davelisalou

well the job im in now is sales. all my numbers are mostly up for the year and where is my protection if the current employer is just being vendictive trying to hurt me with the new position. everything would just be he said she said about what is true or not. But the bottom line is I have never been repremanded for anything. Anyone can tell lies to anyone in the type of business im in. For example i have an account that buys from me at a very low margin and very far away, I was told to just handle the account from home and thats what i have done. the sales are up for the year with them too. But told the current employer that I never went to see them and made an issue of that. because that was the only thing they could find and I was told not to**************..So if the new employer doen not hire me now I could have legal action against the old employer for this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
MAYBE. It depends on EXACTLY what is said. But you cannot do ANYTHING until you have some damages, and at the present time you have none. You do not get to sue just because the old employer gives a reference you do not like or do not agree with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">