• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Position Before Maternity Leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColleenHope

What is the name of your state? MN
My company is restructuring a region, and they would like me to take a new position with more responsibility. I am due to have a baby in 2 weeks. If I do not accept the position, could they let me go before I have the baby (I already gave written notice of my intent to take 12 weeks). Do I have to make a decision now about the new position, or can I tell them I will decide when I return from maternity leave?

Beth3

My company is restructuring a region, and they would like me to take a new position with more responsibility. I am due to have a baby in 2 weeks. If I do not accept the position, could they let me go before I have the baby (I already gave written notice of my intent to take 12 weeks). Yes. Clearly the restructuring has nothing to do with your pregnancy/FMLA leave. Your employer may take whatever actions they normally would. If you refuse the job and they would have terminated you as a result (e.g. because they didn't have another position for you), they are still free to do so.

Do I have to make a decision now about the new position, or can I tell them I will decide when I return from maternity leave? Yes, you have to make a decision if they require that you do so. You certainly can ask your employer if they're willing to wait until after your leave but chances are that it's not reasonable for them to wait 3+ months to finalize their restructuring plans while you decide what you want to do. I expect opportunities and responsibilities for other employees will be impacted on what you decide.

What you need to do is discuss the situation with your employer and see what options you may have, if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">