• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racerx1989

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello,

I am at a dead end job for the past year and a half and my direct boss has a major problem with me and my personality. On a daily basis i get openly criticized and told "If you dont step up your game im ganna have to let you go". Recently this has been getting worse, it all started when i made a suggestion to his boss that certain procedures would go more smoothly if done another way (mind i have a degree in my field and my boss has his GED and 15+ years of experience although most is un-conventional or wrong), also when i was hired I was guaranteed a raise on my 90 day review but the only thing that happened on this review was slander and it has been this way every review since. I have just found out that they are cutting me this friday to make me work on easter sunday and not compensating me for holiday pay. If i quit am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

Chris

commentator

Any time you voluntarily quit a job, in order to get approved for unemployment benefits you must have wages to qualify in the base period and a very good job related reason that you quit the job. A general pattern of "my boss doesn't like me and treats me crappy" is not sufficient, unless his treatment of you includes cursing you, hitting you, threats, forcing you to work in dangerous conditions, or not paying you for legitimate hours worked that he owes you at at least minimum wage. Other than that, everything he says and does to you is a subtle or not so subtle encouragement to quit, so he won't have to actually fire you, which would improve your chances of getting unemployment insurance. If they fire you, the employer has to prove that he had a good well documented misconduct reason to terminate you, or you may be able to get unemployment.

But if you go in and say you quit because you're not getting paid over the Easter holidays, and it's not fair, you more than likely won't be approved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">