• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No compete contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

george0791

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I have "No compete" contract with a company. Can the company not honor the contract if I refuse to relocate. There is nothing mentioned in the contract about relocation.

justalayman

Not sure I understand. What would the company not be honoring should you not relocate? You are the one bound by the non-compete.

and is this only a non-compete or it is part of a larger employment contract?

Unless you have an employment contract that limits what they can demand of you, including you relocate, you have no right to refuse to relocate if they so choose to tell you you are moving to another location,

The only rights you would have in such an situation would be to go as directed, attempt to negotiate remaining at your current location, or quit.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I have "No compete" contract with a company. Can the company not honor the contract if I refuse to relocate. There is nothing mentioned in the contract about relocation.
You need to explain the situation more thoroughly.

swalsh411

I think the OP's situation is that his employer is relocating his job, he does not want to move, and wants to know if he is still bound by the non-compete.

If that is the case the answer is "it depends". It depends on how reasonably the non-compete protects the legitimate business interests of your employer vs. your right (and the best interest of society) to make a living in your field.

non competes can be a pain the arse to deal with and some/ many at will states do not recognize them or their laws make it hard for them to enforce them. In Florida, a employer friendly state, the non competes will be enforced but in California it could be hard to enforce them. Depends on your state and its legal definitions of what you actually signed, you have to actually be making an attempt to market the same products or services to the customers the previous company does business with, a lot of times that is a gray hard to prove area.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
non competes can be a pain the arse to deal with and some/ many at will states do not recognize them or their laws make it hard for them to enforce them. In Florida, a employer friendly state, the non competes will be enforced but in California it could be hard to enforce them. Depends on your state and its legal definitions of what you actually signed, you have to actually be making an attempt to market the same products or services to the customers the previous company does business with, a lot of times that is a gray hard to prove area.
I see that your keyboard buffer had some extra letters it needed to pass on. Totally useless for the OP - but I bet your computer is faster now, huh?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">