• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Compete in Florida?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seeksjob

Florida is a right to work state. When I filled out a job application for a company that I am currently employeed with there was a brief no compete clause in it. The company is going through serious changes due to changes in FCC regulations. There is not a day that goes by that we are hearing about more negative changes which affect us. The stress level is 10 out of 10.
Since Florida is a right to work state is the no compete legal? I have a family to support and would rather not find myself without a job and no place to go. Any advise is appreciated

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Right to work means that you can't be forced to join a union in order to get work. Please explain how you think that would affect the legality of a non-compete.

seeksjob

The way that it is interpreted in most circles down here is... You can and will be fired or terminated and no reason must be given. Usually you are replaced simply with cheaper labor. (The employer then claims right to work state)

BelizeBreeze

seeksjob said:
The way that it is interpreted in most circles down here is... You can and will be fired or terminated and no reason must be given. Usually you are replaced simply with cheaper labor. (The employer then claims right to work state)
Did you even READ CB's reply? I doubt it, otherwise you wouldn't have used 'right to work' in the fashion that you did. :rolleyes:

pattytx

OK, it's Monday and I got a lot of sleep this weekend, so I'm going to be nice.
What you are describing is "At-will employment", not "right to work". Your "circles" are wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">