• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No drivers license = No job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dionysus

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife has filled out an application for a company (who will remain nameless at this point) she would like to work for. When calling back to inquire about the status of her application, she was told that the company can not hire her due to the fact that she does not have a drivers license.

Her lack of a license is not due to legal issues, she just never wanted to get them.

This job does not require any on-hours driving.

Can they deny her employment for this reason?

We are going to talk with a company rep tomrrow morning, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Dionysus said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife has filled out an application for a company (who will remain nameless at this point) she would like to work for. When calling back to inquire about the status of her application, she was told that the company can not hire her due to the fact that she does not have a drivers license.

Her lack of a license is not due to legal issues, she just never wanted to get them.

This job does not require any on-hours driving.

Can they deny her employment for this reason?

We are going to talk with a company rep tomrrow morning, any help would be appreciated.

Q: Can they deny her employment for this reason?

A: Yes.

Dionysus

what would be the reasoning behind such a requirement?

I can see denying employment if the person does not have reliable transportaion. However, her mother works there... And there are several other people available for transportaion is needed.

I wanted to hold back on this info, but.. The reason she does not have a license is due to the fact that when in high school she had seizers, and the school would not allow her to take "behind the wheel". Since then the seizers have stopped, but she doesn't want to get her license.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Dionysus said:
what would be the reasoning behind such a requirement?

I can see denying employment if the person does not have reliable transportaion. However, her mother works there... And there are several other people available for transportaion is needed.

I wanted to hold back on this info, but.. The reason she does not have a license is due to the fact that when in high school she had seizers, and the school would not allow her to take "behind the wheel". Since then the seizers have stopped, but she doesn't want to get her license.
Any other facts you left out before we start helping you?

Dionysus

my point there was that there is no legal reason that she doesn't have a license.

that's all the info I got.

mlane58

An employer can require it's employees to have a valid drivers license regardless of that employee having to drive a company vehicle or use their vehicle for company business. There is nothing illegal about the employer requiring this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">