+ Reply to Thread
    Dionysus is offline Junior Member

No drivers license = No job?

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife has filled out an application for a company (who will remain nameless at this point) she would like to work for. When calling back to inquire about the status of her application, she was told that the company can not hire her due to the fact that she does not have a drivers license.

Her lack of a license is not due to legal issues, she just never wanted to get them.

This job does not require any on-hours driving.

Can they deny her employment for this reason?

We are going to talk with a company rep tomrrow morning, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dionysus; 02-15-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus
    What is the name of your state? Virginia

My wife has filled out an application for a company (who will remain nameless at this point) she would like to work for. When calling back to inquire about the status of her application, she was told that the company can not hire her due to the fact that she does not have a drivers license.

Her lack of a license is not due to legal issues, she just never wanted to get them.

This job does not require any on-hours driving.

Can they deny her employment for this reason?

We are going to talk with a company rep tomrrow morning, any help would be appreciated.

Q: Can they deny her employment for this reason?

A: Yes.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    what would be the reasoning behind such a requirement?

I can see denying employment if the person does not have reliable transportaion. However, her mother works there... And there are several other people available for transportaion is needed.

I wanted to hold back on this info, but.. The reason she does not have a license is due to the fact that when in high school she had seizers, and the school would not allow her to take "behind the wheel". Since then the seizers have stopped, but she doesn't want to get her license.
    Last edited by Dionysus; 02-15-2006 at 05:11 PM.
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus
    what would be the reasoning behind such a requirement?

I can see denying employment if the person does not have reliable transportaion. However, her mother works there... And there are several other people available for transportaion is needed.

I wanted to hold back on this info, but.. The reason she does not have a license is due to the fact that when in high school she had seizers, and the school would not allow her to take "behind the wheel". Since then the seizers have stopped, but she doesn't want to get her license.
    Any other facts you left out before we start helping you?
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    my point there was that there is no legal reason that she doesn't have a license.

that's all the info I got.
    mlane58 is offline Senior Member
    An employer can require it's employees to have a valid drivers license regardless of that employee having to drive a company vehicle or use their vehicle for company business. There is nothing illegal about the employer requiring this.
    Last edited by mlane58; 02-15-2006 at 07:16 PM.