• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no-hire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brian solo

i live in Mississippi.

i just returned from attempting to get a job with applebee's. they had a "casting call" where they sit a few people down and go over the essentials of the company. next, they had me fill out a 150 question personality questionnaire. after reviewing it for 2 minutes, they told me, "we are unable to continue with the process," without giving me a reason or explanation.

my question is: can they do this? shouldn't they be required to give me some kind of reason for not hiring me?

i'm a little hurt because i've been hired for every job i've ever applied for. thanks, in advance!

moburkes

i live in Mississippi.

i just returned from attempting to get a job with applebee's. they had a "casting call" where they sit a few people down and go over the essentials of the company. next, they had me fill out a 150 question personality questionnaire. after reviewing it for 2 minutes, they told me, "we are unable to continue with the process," without giving me a reason or explanation.

my question is: can they do this? shouldn't they be required to give me some kind of reason for not hiring me?

i'm a little hurt because i've been hired for every job i've ever applied for. thanks, in advance!
Yes, they can. Should they? Maybe.

brian solo

i figured that they're not legally required. i understand that there are thousands of jobs where they only peruse an application and never call the applicant. however, this time around, they also asked 150 invasive, introspective questions that are, literally, the kind that you answer when you initially consult with a shrink. i was just curious if it were different in this case because of the personal questions.

moburkes

i figured that they're not legally required. i understand that there are thousands of jobs where they only peruse an application and never call the applicant. however, this time around, they also asked 150 invasive, introspective questions that are, literally, the kind that you answer when you initially consult with a shrink. i was just curious if it were different in this case because of the personal questions.
No. That is just one of those personality things that many companies are using nowadays. Nothing is "intrusive" about it, and if you thought it was, you were free to stop the interview at that point.

eerelations

And even if they didn't hire you because you admitted to having recurring dreams about playing basketball naked with Andy Rooney, well, that still wouldn't be illegal. :D

eerelations

Hey, I didn't say I was having dreams like that! If I ever had a dream like that, I'd give up sleeping! (Hmmm, d'ya think that's why cbg doesn't sleep anymore?)

Ozark_Sophist

These types of personality tests are used to gauge several attributes, including truthfulness. For a licensed, bonded position, I took a test of over 450 questions on a computer. An algorithm is used to calculate truthful answer (based on response times - people take more time to select an answer when they are avoiding the truth or are trying to pick the answer they expect the employer wants). Expect to see more of these tests used as more companies are turning to personality type indicators and other tests to determine best employee attributes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">