• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Non-Compete Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TaraJohnson

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am currently working for a company and I have never signed a non-compete agreement. The company is being sold and I do not want to work for the new owner. Can I legally go to work for another company and take my clients with me? I have current clients and contacts that I would like to take with me to another company. Since I did not sign a non-compete agreement can I do this? Also, am I entitled to my vacation pay? Every year in December my vacation renews. I have 3 weeks vacation due to me. If I resign do I still get this pay? If so, must I give 2 weeks notice?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would strongly suggest that you speak to a local attorney about taking clients with you. You are supported by the fact that there is no non-compete agreement; however, that does not mean that you cannot be sued for "tortuous interferance" or some such thing.

Florida does not require an employer to pay out earned but unused vacation pay. That will be entirely up to company policy; you have no legal "right" to it.

You are not required by law to give two weeks notice; if you fail to do so, employers are legally permitted (if they so choose) to mention in any reference queries that you left without notice, which may or may not matter to inquiring companies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">