• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bommu_anil

I am in California. Working for a consulting company. Three months back I came from India. I am not paid till now. Is there any way I can get paid from my employer? Please help me.

Thanks
Anil

L

loku

Your employer is violating federal and state law, which provides for a minimum wage. I suggest you put in a complaint with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE). The following link will bring you to a listing of the Division’s local offices and phone numbers.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What link ?

The Division of Labor Standards Enforcement must investigate any complaint as to the payment of less than the minimum wage, and take proceedings necessary to enforce the payment of the minimum wage. [Lab C §1195] There is a civil penalty for payment of a wage less than the legal minimum, for which the Labor Commissioner may issue a citation; the employer may then contest the citation at an informal hearing. [Lab C §1197.1]

If an employer generally fails to pay wages, the Labor Commissioner may recover a civil penalty as part of a hearing held to recover unpaid wages and penalties. [Lab C §210]
The Labor Commissioner has authority to investigate employee complaints and may provide for a hearing, where an employee seeks to recover wages, penalties, and other demands for compensation, including claims involving payroll checks or drafts returned unpaid because of insufficient funds. If the employer fails to appear, no default may be taken, but the Labor Commissioner must hear the evidence and issue an order, decision, or award. If the claim was filed against an employer doing business under a fictitious business name, the order, decision, or award generally may be amended to conform to the legal name of the business or the person who is the defendant to the wage claim. [Lab C §98]

The award will include any sums found owing, damages proved, and any penalties awarded. [Lab C §98.1]

The DLSE publishes a booklet entitled "Policies and Procedures for Wage Claim Processing" which explains the procedures involved in a wage claim proceeding, including filing the complaint, types of hearings, and appeal of an order. The booklet is available from the DLSE.

IAAL

Last edited:
B

bommu_anil

Thanks Loku

I have forgot to mention that I am on H1 B VISA. Can you suggest me anything in terms of H1 B VISA holders?

Thanks
Anil

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bommu_anil said:
Thanks Loku

I have forgot to mention that I am on H1 B VISA. Can you suggest me anything in terms of H1 B VISA holders?

Thanks
Anil
My response:

Well, Loku . . .

Just when we thought it was safe, the writer pulls the rug right out from under us.

Hey, LEGALBEAGLE ! !

IAAL

L

loku

I doubt that your visa status changes this, but I know nothing of immigration law, so I suggest you post the question on our Immigration bulletin board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">