• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no payment for hours worked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

golde

I had recently put in my two week notice at a small CPA firm. They paid me for a week and a half but the last three days were on another pay period and they refuse to pay me because they say that I have negative sick and vacation time. When I was hired they told me that I would have 2 wks vacation and 2 wks comp time for all of the overtime that we are required to work and they don't pay any overtime. I didn't have any negative sick time because I was never told how much sick time we had. I just assumed if it was over I would use my comp time. Is there anything that I can do? Or have they stuck it to me one last time?

Thanks!

H

hannah jo

Several issues pop out here - how long did you work there? how was vacation and comp time to be accrued? what type of work were you doing? how much sick leave had you taken off?
In most cases, time off accrues either on a per payroll basis or monthly - meaning if you get 2 weeks per year, you get a fratcion of time each month, which would total 2 weeks at the end of the year! Giving comp time in lieu of overtime indicates that the company recognizes that you not only work overtime but are entitled to be compensated (not exempt) for overtime work. Was the job union? If not, you may have a claim against you employer for earned, unpaid overtime if you worked more hours than you were paid for (or were comp'd at stright time, not time and one half!)
May be of benefit to consult with an Employment Law attorney - you could have more pay coming than you thought - and the employer may end up having to pay your legal fees as well.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">