• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Reasons for firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Franchesca01

New York City...

I used to work for a Gourmet Supermarket in the upper east side in NY, i am 22 years old and i used to work in 3 different departments in the store. I used to work 6 days every week,. I used to work any shift and any days. I am a lesbian and my girlfriend started to work there this recent May and i was about to have 2 years working for the company. The general manager of the store is a muslim and he doesnt like gay people, he used to make homophobic comments, not only to me but to others homosexual co-workers. I recently got fired for no apparent reason, and his problems started when my girlfriend started to work there because everybody found out we were together, so a lot of gossip went on and he didnt say anything to me. No reason was explained to me and im still unemployed. I applied for unemployment and now they say i have to wait 4-6 weeks to get my UI...and i really need money because im starving and i dont think it was fair to me...

Is there anything i can legally do? I would really appreciate a prompt answer in this matter....

HomeGuru

New York City...

I used to work for a Gourmet Supermarket in the upper east side in NY, i am 22 years old and i used to work in 3 different departments in the store. I used to work 6 days every week,. I used to work any shift and any days. I am a lesbian and my girlfriend started to work there this recent May and i was about to have 2 years working for the company. The general manager of the store is a muslim and he doesnt like gay people, he used to make homophobic comments, not only to me but to others homosexual co-workers. I recently got fired for no apparent reason, and his problems started when my girlfriend started to work there because everybody found out we were together, so a lot of gossip went on and he didnt say anything to me. No reason was explained to me and im still unemployed. I applied for unemployment and now they say i have to wait 4-6 weeks to get my UI...and i really need money because im starving and i dont think it was fair to me...

Is there anything i can legally do? I would really appreciate a prompt answer in this matter....
**A: yes, borrow money from your gf to buy food.

OHRoadwarrior

The New York City Human Rights Law and the NY Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act cover it. Do you have any proof, other than your opinion you were unfairly targeted? You might want to consult a local attorney. Note though, "he didn't say anything to you". How can this be proof?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Everyone has to wait 4-6 weeks for their UI.

Do you have any EVIDENCE that you were fired solely because of your sexual orientation and not, perhaps, because your relationship was creating a distraction in the workplace? After all, if "everyone" found out about it so soon, either you must have been talking about it in the workplace (which is inappropriate) or your behavior showed it (which is also inappropriate).

Just Blue

Everyone has to wait 4-6 weeks for their UI.

Do you have any EVIDENCE that you were fired solely because of your sexual orientation and not, perhaps, because your relationship was creating a distraction in the workplace? After all, if "everyone" found out about it so soon, either you must have been talking about it in the workplace (which is inappropriate) or your behavior showed it (which is also inappropriate).
Just about EVERY place I have worked has issues with employee sexual/romantic relationships. Cause for instant termination.

swalsh411

Being in a same sex relationship doesn't give you any more rights to flaunt it or act inappropriately at work. And the boss not likeing that behavior is not homophobic or illegal.

Hot Topic

New York City...

The question is about the legality of what happened, not the fairness of what happened.

Everyone has to wait for the first unemployment check to arrive. Why should an exception be made for you?

You must have known since May that things were getting dicey because of your manager's alleged attitude. Why didn't you put some money aside then?

Don't buy that you're "starving," not with a girlfriend and in a place like New York City.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">