• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No unemployment compensation for church employees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maiasaura

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I worked for a Methodist church last year. They let me go to cut costs. Fed, state, SS and disability taxes were withheld as usual. I filed for unemployment benefits and was denied because I worked for a church, and they are exempt from FUCA and SUTA. This is confusing. Does that mean churches are exempt from paying it, or that employees are exempt from being eligable for compensation? I have a phone appt with the Monetary Department next month, and I want to be prepared.:(

I won't EVEN bother with church employee issues. All I know is...I get a Pastor loan coming across my desk to underwrite it i.e. income etc...I want to cry!!!

They have their OWN rules about w-2's, paystubs etc...

If you have all that you say you do coming out of your check...then you are a FIRST that I have ever seen in church emps. income docs.

They DID NOT pay into with which YOU paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">