• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mark costa

What is the name of your state? Florida
I was laid off before my 90 day pobation period.
1. I post dated my agreement for after my 90 day probation period.
2. I was laid off due to company cutting expences
3. Florida is a right to work state and all agreements or contracts are null and void becuase I was released under 90 days or probation period.
4. I need to work
5. The Company did not provide copies of this agreement to me.
6. I have requested a letter of release to clear any obligations, which they are none.

What do y0ou think?

Beth3

You're referring to the non-compete you titled your post with? So what's your question? Whether the non-compete is valid since you've been laid off?

P.S. What you mean is Florida is an "at will" State. Right to work means that you cannot be compelled to join a union in order to be employed.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Florida is both an at-will state and a right to work state. Beth's definition is correct; the fact that Florida is a right to work state has nothing to do with your situation.

If you have a question regarding your non-compete agreement, only an attorney in your state who has read it can offer an opinion as to its enforceability.

M

mark costa

OK then; What about a post dated signature even if I was released fore the 90 probation.

I been speaking to HR professionals and their interpatation is in florida you and the employer have the right to resign or fire with out cause and all agreements writen or verbal are null invoid.

Is Florida changing the rules?!

Mark

M

mark costa

OK then; What about a post dated signature even if I was released fore the 90 probation.

I been speaking to HR professionals and their interpatation is in florida you and the employer have the right to resign or fire with out cause and all agreements writen or verbal are null invoid.

Is Florida changing the rules?!

Mark

H

hexeliebe

O.K. Mark I'm going to try this one last time.

I think you'd better go find a new job...

Now, why do you think I would tell you that? To hear myself talk or to make you use that thing between your ears that a potential employer MAY want you to use for them?

I'm not going to lead you by the hand. Use your brain and figure out why I'm telling you to find a new job.

R

Ramoth

I don't know what HR person in Florida you're talking to, but I thank the First Egg it's not someone in my company. If your non-compete agreement would have been valid AFTER 90 days employment, it is valid BEFORE 90 days employment. Post-dating your non-compete doesn't make a difference if there's someone to witness that you in fact signed it at hire, despite the date you wrote on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">