• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmacandr

What is the name of your state? Florida.

From Jan. 14th to Apr. 15th I worked for an CPA. He terminated my employment on Apr. 15th. When he terminated my employed he did not tell me the truth as to why. I later found out that he hired a friend of a friend of his to take my position. I recently received a letter from him demanding that I cease and desist from competing with his firm. I am not competing in any way. I am working in a different field, I have since become a Mortgage Broker. His firm does not do Mortgages. The main paragraph of the agreement says that I shall not compete with, and shall not be employed by or contract with any person or entity which competes with the business of Owner....

I have called or stopped by 3-4 clients who I have become friends with. All I did was let they know I no longer work with ... and that I am now in the mortgage business.

Also the employment agreement was only witnessed by one person, there are lines for two witnesses. Plus the one witness who signed, did not do so in my presence.

Since there is only one witness, is this agreement valid??

Beth3

Since there is only one witness, is this agreement valid?? Sure. It doesn't have to be witnessed at all.

This CPA certainly sounds overzealous and perhaps even a bit nutsy. You might want to consult with an attorney and have him or her send the CPA a letter refuting the allegations and hope that's the end of it. You don't just want to sit around and wait to see if the CPA files suit. Even if it's without merit, it'll still cost you some some big bucks to defend yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">