• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am currently employed by a company that made me sign a confidentiality and no compete clause after 7 months of employment. I have honored that agreement for 2 1/2 years even though I signed it because I thought I would get fired if I didn't sign it. Three months ago the company deducted money out of my check for two pay periods to cover my portion of health insurance. The company didn't pay their premiums and our insurance was cancelled. They have since applied and been denied coverage by two other companies. My wife had cancer two years ago, and even if the company can get their insurance back in place she will be not be covered because of pre-exhisting conditions. They have put me in a position that I can't provide needs for my family. I have been offered a position with a competitor of the company I work for. I had no interest in taking this job until this situation came up. Does this situation give me any ground to fight the confidentiality and no compete clause? I live in Arkansas which is a right to work state.

B

buddy2bear

You have an employment contract that includes a non-compete within it. It seems to me that your employer has breached a term and condition of employment, but to be absolutely sure, you should check with an labor & employment law attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">