• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pctech

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I recently left my job doing PC repair, web design, etc. When I started with this company 4 years ago I signed a very basic non-compete form. From what I can remember of it, it basically states that I cannot go directly after my previous employers clients. I also remember that my ex-boss never filled in the blank for how many years!:eek: That was very stupid on my part but at the time I really needed the job.

Now here's the thing, 98% of his client base is used to and wants to deal with me. After all, they have been for the last 4 years and I've taken good care of them. I was thinking of starting my own computer company and could really benefit getting those clients. How legit is this incomplete non-compete I signed? I do have a copy of it somewhere, just have to dig it up. My copy shows the blank he didn't fill out. Can he just fill in say, 10 years on his? He also had a habit of getting all his legal and business documents online. I don't think his lawyer created it for him.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

ecmst12

Find your copy and take it to a local employment/contracts attorney. No one can provide a legal opinion on a document that they have not read, and your answer will be specific to your state and possibly your county/city as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">