• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fodie

I accidently closed the previous thread. I still need an answer to this dilema.

I am in Tennesse and have been recently working as a subcontractor. I am a certified massage therapist. The place I am working assigns clients to me and takes 40%. They are asking me to sign a non compete for 5 years within 10 miles. They have not contributed to my training and I am paying advertising costs in addition to the 40% given to them. Is the non-compete enforcable?

L

loku

Non compete clause

A non-compete agreement is enforceable if its terms are reasonable in the circumstances. Basically that means if the time and space limitations are advantageous to the business rather then a penalty, they will usually be reasonable. If this were to go to court and there was a jury, the jury would be asked to decide if the space limitation of 10 miles is reasonable to protect the business. They would probably say it was reasonable. When asked if 5 years is a reasonable time restriction, I think the case would not be so clear. My guess is that that is an unreasonable time restriction in the circumstance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">