• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete After Almost Two Years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanine

In NY. I've been with my company for almost two years. There is talk of them instituting a non-compete agreement. Can they do this after two years of employment. If I refuse to sign and am fired, what legal recourse do I have - if any?

J

justathought

Your only saving grace would be contractual fine print, but you don't recall having one.

If you're union, there might be a grievance process or a union contract which dictates what they can or can't change during the contract period.

If you're "at will" they can fire you for anything except "protected class" discrimination.

At least that's how it is in my state (MA).

You'd want to check with your state because some states don't allow the agreements and some are very strict about the wording. (Meaning if it's not written well, it might not be valid.)

Stupid and unfair, yes. Illegal or wrongful, probably not.

But that is my humble *personal* (read=not a lawyer) opinion.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">