• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete after being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leew

What is the name of your state? TX working for Bergen County, NJ company
I am being laid off from a sales position at a NJ software company and they want to hold me to the non-compete agreement saying I cannot work for a similar company for 12 months. The severance package also referenced the non-compete. Would this stand up in NJ courts?What is the name of your state?

Beth3

No one here can comment on an agreement they haven't read. You'll need to show it to a local attorney.

leew

non-compete being fired

I am having trouble finding an attorney that represents "employees" in this matter in Bergen County. Any help would be appreciated?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry, but it's not like there's a law that says when a non-compete can or cannot be enforced. It's going to depend on the wording of the agreement, and if we haven't read it, we can't tell if it's enforceable or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">