• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unowho

What is the name of your state? New Jersey.

I work for an end-client(Z) based in New Jersey though my company is based in New York.

Following is the excerpt from my Non-Compete Agreement between me and my company (X).

During the term of this Agreement and for one year after its termination, expiration or cancellation, Consultant shall not provide or offer to provide services, other than through X, to any client of X in connection with any Engagement(s) with respect to which Consultant provided Services hereunder.

Here goes my question:

I am paid from company X though not a fulltime employee( no benefits) but work on location at company Z. My company X of course makes money on me hourly. Z has offered me full time position and I would like to take it up. I want to know if I will run into legal troubles because of the above line in the non compete agreement. I am yet to complete one year with X.

Please advise. I would like to know about my rights. It sounds to me to be too stupid that any employee is being restricted from career growth just because X wants to make a little more money from my services.

Please advise.
Thanks.

P

Pfaffing85690

It sounds to me to be too stupid that any employee is being restricted from career growth just because X wants to make a little more money from my services.
Wrong. It simply says that if your contract with the current assignement ends you cannot work for THEM for a year. And that's perfectly understandable since the consulting company got you that gig and is being paid by the firm to supply you.

Get over it. There's nothing sinister in your consulting company protecting their work.

mykoleary

The consulting compnay will likely allow company Z to hire you FT with no issues if they pay a finders fee which will be a % of your offered salary.

P

Pfaffing85690

And just in case you're thinking you can forget the consulting company and go to Z, they won't touch you without a signed release from X.

It's called tortious interference and will land Z a hefty fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">