• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KI

When I became employed with my present company, we agreed to salary terms and duties. I signed a non-compete agreement at the time that said if I terminated my employment I would not compete with my company. Recently my base salary was reduced by nearly half, and commission adjustments are going to make it more difficult to make the same amount of commission. Does the company's changing of salary do anything to negate the non-compete agreement?

ALawyer

It depends on the exact language of the agreement.

Non-competes are hard to enforce in most circumstances, and are generally unenforceable in a few states such as California.

crager34

Right to work

ALawyer is correct. Non-compete clauses cannot be enforced(in most states) due to everyones RIGHT TO WORK. It is mainly an ethics issue. So, if you think you can get the same job through a different company at you original rate....then do it. The ethics went out the window when they went back on their word with the pay.

ps. I am not a lawyer

K

KI

Thanks

Thanks to you both for the reply. I'm wondering if I should make my intention known. I realize this not so much a legal question, as one of strategy. But lawyers can be good at strategy. I also wonder if making known my intention of not being bound by the non-compete, would add to my claim later, if challenged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">