• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete agreement with job offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HBG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

I have been offered a manger position in Portland OR, included with the written offer is a non-compete agreement. The agreement stipulates that whether voluntary or involuntary separation of employment I would not be able to work in the same industry for 1 year. Additional, I would not be allowed to seek employment with a competitor while employed or for the 1 year after separation of employment.

This sounds absurd, is this agreement even legal. I understand signing a confidentiality agreement but a non-compete. I feel that not being able to work for 1 year after separation of employment or not able to change employers should I so desire is ridiculous.

Is it reasonable that I ask them to remove the non-compete from the offer or should I ask for a 1-year severance package for the total sum of 1 year’s salary?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

pattytx

Take the agreement they want you to sign to an Oregon attorney versed in employment law. States differ as to what provisions of a noncompete can and cannot be enforceable. Do that before you start "negotiating" some type of deal for signing this (if, in fact, it would be enforceable at all), or you may find that the job offer has mysteriously been rescinded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">