• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete agreement - New Jersey based company and I live in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

radeksgrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I recently resigned from a company headquartered in New Jersey. I live in Florida and did so during my employment with them (field-based employee). I would like to know if the non-compete clause I signed with them is valid?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I recently resigned from a company headquartered in New Jersey. I live in Florida and did so during my employment with them (field-based employee). I would like to know if the non-compete clause I signed with them is valid?

We can't read the clause, so we cannot possibly guess. Run it by an employment attorney.

radeksgrl

Updated question

As I understand it, non-competes are only valid in the state the issuing company is physically located. Meaning that I could work for a similar company as long as they were not also headquartered in New Jersey. Is this true?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As I understand it, non-competes are only valid in the state the issuing company is physically located. Meaning that I could work for a similar company as long as they were not also headquartered in New Jersey. Is this true?
cool what you think you know but you need an attorney in the state that the Non-compete applies to review it to determine if it matters.

quincy

No, this is not true. It depends on the type of work you do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">