• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non - compete agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

discovery

State = UT

What are the legal considerations regarding a non- compete agreement. Upon employment I signed an agreement. The one recital that I need clarification on state that the employee (me) "will not work as and agent, employee... for a company that offers similar type services." it also states" that it may include but not limited to and goes on to list a couple of the companies services.

My question is that my current company is a broker based business. They do not actually manufacture products. Would I be limited to not working for an actual manufacturer of similar products. My position is in sales and I do not desire to take existing customers.

Any help asap would be appreciated.

TCB4U2B2B

Hello Discovery

The answer to your question, which is in the second paragraph, is answered in the statement made in the first paragraph.

You asked: Would I be limited to not working for an actual manufacturer of similar products.

The answer: "will not work as and agent, employee... for a company that offers similar type services." it also states" that it may include but not limited to and goes on to list a couple of the companies services.

Key words:

offers similar type services
{meaning company you now work for}

a couple of the companies services
{meaning company you now work for}

Summation:
As long as you do not work for a competitor of the company your now employed and doing an exact or similar job, you are not a competition threat. You can work for a company that you sell/market or distribute for.

Question Answered.
Case Closed.
Courts Adjourned.
Regards and Good Luck.
TCB4U2B2B
At Your Service.
Providing No Real Legal Advice. Administering "Huge Doses of Reality" on Demand or as Required...:D
Personal Quote: "When In Doubt, Consider All Your Options and Allow Common Sense To Prevail."

D

discovery

non compete

Thank you for your advice. I do need one point of clarification.
When you state that working for exact or similar jobs" is that meaning I can not work in the capacity as a sales manager / VP. or does that mean working
on
the same job ie: customer or project.
>
> I guess my main concern is that I want to work for a company that
manufactures and sells some of the same products / services that the company I currently
work for brokers. Is there any legal problem with this?
>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">