• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non compete agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sonza

Iowa law.

Been with my company for seven years. Just received word last week we are "downsizing"; can relocate to Corp office, or take severance. Lots of reasons why can't/don't want to relocate, so am taking severance. Staying at job till 2/1 and then 3 months sev.

Question: I know I signed a non-compete with co seven years ago (a basic one that just says I can't go out and work for a competitor if I leave), and now, to get the severance, they want me to sign one that states I will not go out and work for a competitor, but also wont' work for or solicit any existing clients. So that pretty much would shelve any networking I ever did. I would not be able to go work for a client (and that is a possibility right now), or solicit OTHER clients if that company hired me. How do I get out of this? I have not signed my severance package non compete, and have to on 1/14, so need a pretty quick answer, if you could.

How truly enforceable are these non-competes?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I know it's past the date you had to sign, but I've been out of town with no internet access and only just saw the question.

Non-competes are very fact specific, and how well they will stand up will depend on both the exact wording and your state law. I hope you took it to an employment lawyer for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">