• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non compete clause for Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skellington

What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm curious about the legality of the following provision. I'm about to sign on with this company and they are asking me to sign a contract with a non compete clause attached. I'm curious how they can keep me from finding work if I'm fired or if I quit.

Non-Competition. The Employee acknowledges that he or she will acquire considerable knowledge about, and expertise in, certain areas of the Employer’s business and that he or she will have knowledge of, and contact with, customers and suppliers of the Employer and its Affiliates (as hereafter defined). The Employee further acknowledges that he or she may well be able to utilize such knowledge and expertise, following termination of his or her service with the Employer, to the serious detriment of the Employer in the event that the Employee should solicit business from customers of the Employer or its affiliates. Accordingly, the Employee agrees that:

during his or her employment and for a period of two (2) year after termination of his or her employment, the Employee will not in any way be associated with or involved, directly or indirectly, with any person, firm, corporation or other entity engaged in any business which provides services substantially similar to the services provided by the Employer or its Affiliates within the metropolitan area known as Dallas/Ft Worth.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Show the complete agreement to a local attorney. ONLY someone who has read the entirety of the agreement (context counts) AND knows state and local law can advise you on the enforceability of any one clause. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">