• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete for dissolved company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JF545

What is the name of your state? Now living in VT, worked in MA.

I worked as a graphic designer for a company that had us sign a non compete form. That company dissolved in April of 2004 because the parternship ended between the two partners. One of the partners opened a new firm and hired the staff. I had decided to move to Vermont the end of 2004 and on the last day my boss asked if I would warrant the non compete I had signed with the original company and I said no. I moved to VT and opened my own design firm out of my house in Jan. 2005 and now some of my old clients want to work with me and use my design services. Unfortunately, I was never given a copy of the original I signed and didn't want to stir up trouble now asking for it. If the company dissolved wouldn't the non-compete dissolve as well? Would it be ok to do work for some of my old clients? They never had contracts with my old firm.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What does the non-compete agreement say?

We cannot comment on the terms of an agreement we have not read. Show it to a local attorney.

Some Random Guy

It will also be affected by whether the old company was in fact "dissolved", or if it was purchased by one of the partners. If it was "dissolved" I fail to see who would be suing you, since the partner's new firm has nothing to do with the old one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">